Barbara's Reviews > The Zookeeper's Wife

Aug 07, 2009

bookshelves: holocaust-ww-2, non-fiction
Recommended for: Maria, Teri,Kelly and all my GR friends
Read in July, 2009

There is no way that I can sit down and adequately review this book after reading it. Diane Ackerman has skillfully and beautifully written this very complex story. She is a naturalist, who has very well utilized her discipline to write this historical piece. It will remain with me for a very long time, so I must mull it over and deliberate how I can do justice to this multilayered tale. I have read many accounts of WW II, in articles and in books, but Ackerman was able to create charm, suspense and beauty with her writing. It was compelling- each page contained some item of wonder. The book was enjoyable until the completion of the very last page. My goal is to seek out more of this wonderful author's work.
I would rate this book 5+ stars if possible!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zookeeper's Wife.

06/25 marked as: read

Maria I want to read this, too.

message 2: by Barbara (last edited Jul 11, 2009 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara I hadn't known that it was non-fiction, but it is a wonderful, readable book. The author is a naturalist/ecologist who has written about the horifying history of pre-war and WW2 with great sensitivity and some gentle humor. Her telling of this story lends a very interesting slant.
It's compelling, but I have to keep reading the detailed notes at the back of the book for more info!

Susan I knew that this book would move you. It was spectacular, wasn't it?!

Barbara How can you describe a book about war as uplifting? This was exactly how I felt reading this, despite being horrified at times.

message 5: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose I MUST read this book! Thanks for your review, Barbara.

Barbara It's a pleasure to recommend this wonderful book. I remember our past discussions about refugees, etc.

message 7: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose Barbara wrote: "It's a pleasure to recommend this wonderful book. I remember our past discussions about refugees, etc."

Yes, it seems I am very much drawn to the "Immigrant Experience" genre.

Barbara I am too. Those who choose to ignore this subject are fogetting the past.

message 9: by Debby (new)

Debby My daughter's book club read this recently and Rachel loved it. She actually raved about it. I'm hoping to be able to locate a CD copy of the book at our library.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I nearly picked this one up several times. Obviously I goofed.

Barbara I am actually very amazed and excited about this book. I guess it's obvious!

Maria Barbara, this is a wonderful, wonderful review. Of course it's next!

Maria Susan, I keep forgetting to ask you, may I borrow this soon?