Natalie's Reviews > The Warren Commission Report: The Official Report of the President's Commission on the Assassination of President John F. Kennedy

The Warren Commission Report by United States
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warren Commission Report.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (last edited Jul 08, 2009 11:49AM) (new)

Ben What's the use in reading this? Don't ya know that Patricia Cornwell is figuring it out for you already?

Natalie Bah *dismissive hand wave*

message 3: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W Natalie wrote: "Bah *dismissive hand wave*

I don't believe the "official story" for a minute, but I at least want to read the lies they're feeding us."

I recommend Case Closed. A good historian friend of mine who wrote his dissertation on the assassination (over 1000 pages) also thinks this is probably the most accurate.

Natalie I looked into reading that, but Posner makes the case that Oswald acted alone. C'mon, that's no fun. Where's the Mafia tie-in? Where's the Cuban backing? I want my heaping helping of conspiracy theory, please. :)~

message 5: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W Smile. I have so much trouble buying into conspiracy theories because, as I've noted elsewhere, they require an extraordinary level of competence on the part of so many people. Competence on that grand a scale requires a suspension of disbelief I am unable to make and not consistent with my experience. Posner's evidence is compelling and reasonable, if not as much fun. For that we have James Bond.

Natalie Conspiracies don't always require that the left hand know what the right hand is doing. I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, of course, but I love a good conspiracy theory.

message 7: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W Natalie wrote: "Conspiracies don't always require that the left hand know what the right hand is doing. I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, of course, but I love a good conspiracy theory. "

There is nothing better than a good conspiracy, I agree. But in real life, unfortunately, they never work. Watergate is the classic example. Bunch of guys with all sorts of power trying to pull off a conspiracy. Incompetence reigned and it went south from there. The Warren Commission made a lot of mistakes making it easy for conspiracy theorists to find all sorts of holes, but when all the evidence was reexamined the single bullet was the only one that fit all the evidence.

message 8: by Ben (last edited Jul 08, 2009 05:46PM) (new)

Ben I've been trying to explain these things to her, Eric, since I met her in September.

The worst is her most recent theory, which posits that Michael Jackson didn't actually die, but instead "faked it," as the ultimate publicity stunt to launch his tour next fall.

message 9: by Eric_W (last edited Jul 08, 2009 07:05PM) (new)

Eric_W Hmm, copied Jesus did he? (grin)

Natalie Uh...Ben, when did I ever say that, please?

message 11: by Ben (new)

Ben haha, I made that one up. : )

Natalie Psssh. How are my pet conspiracy theories any wilder than your Invisible Man in the Sky theory? Snap!

message 13: by Ben (new)

Ben Who said anything about someone being in the sky? I think you too often simplify things...

Natalie I think you have no sense of humor.

message 15: by Ben (last edited Jul 08, 2009 07:39PM) (new)

Ben Well, at least that comment indicates to me that you weren't being mean. Still not funny, but at least not mean. ; )

Natalie Benjamin, you'll know when I'm being mean. But personally, yes, I think it's much more plausible that there was a second shooter in the Kennedy assassination than I think it's plausible that there's an invisible man watching over all of us and taking a personal interest in all of our lives.

message 17: by Ben (new)

Ben I never mentioned the Kennedy assassination, Natalie. Not once.

Natalie Ben, we're in a thread about the Kennedy assassination.

We're talking about conspiracy theories.

You really do have no sense of humor sometimes. Is it all that time you've spent with Corporate America jammed up your ass?

message 19: by Ben (last edited Jul 08, 2009 07:49PM) (new)

Ben I'm well aware of the book header over the thread, but I was speaking of conspiracy theories in general, as should be obvious from a quick reading of the conversation.

Natalie You're something else, Ben. Don't you have a model to console?

message 21: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Ben, leave Natalie alone. She lives by logic and tangible evidence. It is obvious that a few billion years ago there was this stuff that came from somewhere, and then something happened that made it blow up and then some other things happened and this stuff mutated and finally some of this mutated stuff shot some other stuff in Dallas and a bunch of old stuff wrote a report about it and that pretty well sums it up. That God deal is just too hard to believe in. Leave her with the logic.
cheers
PEJ

Natalie Phillip, this is funny because it's Ben that over-fetishizes logic to an almost comical degree.

message 23: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Dang, Natalie. It was supposed to be biting sarcasm! You do know how to hurt a guy.

PEJ

Natalie *smile*

Our young Benjamin told me that same thing this morning. I've finally found my one talent, it seems.