Anna's Reviews > Aya

Aya by Marguerite Abouet

Jul 08, 2009

bookshelves: graphic-novels, fiction, young-adult, africa, read-in-2009, historical
Read in July, 2009

This book arrived today and I read it immediately. It was wonderful. It's kind of like Persepolis but it's fiction and it's set on the Ivory Coast, in Africa. This is really a historical graphic novel because it focuses on the 1970s era and shows what live was like in Youpougon, Cote d'Iviore during that time. It's a funny and real story that I think captures what it's like to be African but it's so easy to relate to that it almost doesn't seem African. The characters, three teenage girls and their families, feel so much like "us" -- Westerners, that is -- that the book never seems foreign or like something you can't relate to. Yet it's still a graphic novel set in Cote d'Iviore in the 1970s so you're able to learn a lot about the culture and the time just by reading this. I think it's beautifully done and I am excited to read Yop City as well as the third book that is not out yet. I can only hope that more African writers begin to share their stories and ideas through literature that is more accessible to Westerners. This was translated from French and I think the translation was done well because the humor carries through quite well. The illustrations/graphics are really well done and I love that they are in COLOR!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aya.