Reed Stratton's Reviews > Population: 485: Meeting Your Neighbors One Siren at a Time

Population by Michael  Perry

M_50x66
Jul 08, 09

Read in July, 2007

This book is my little secret! Very few people have heard of it, and it is a shame. Of course, I may be partial because it takes place in tiny New Auburn here in Wisconsin, and I certainly identify with the lifestyle descriptions and the contemplation of Friday fish fries.

Aside from a strong loyalty to Wisconsin, Perry gives us something new- a small town from the perspective of an ambulance driver. I couldn't put the book down partly because of morbid curiosity and partly because of great affection for Perry's storytelling voice and eye for quirky characters.

If you don't live in Wisconsin, you probably won't be too interested in what he has to say, but I would still recommend it for its important reflections on the nature of death and how human beings choose to respond to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Population.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephanie This book definitely succeeded in causing a great amount of nostalgia, but I think the character studies are more interesting than just from a homegrown point of view! Loved it.