Paul's Reviews > 2666

2666 by Roberto Bolaño

Nov 23, 12

I'm a guy who never falls for the hype, I see those orchestrated culture-vulture whisper campaigns a mile away, I will not be dragooned into seeing the latest cruddy art house movie or the subversive comedian who deliberately doesn't make you laugh, nor yet do I watch Big Brother as an ironic protest against the war in Afghanistan - so imagine my horror when I got home from Waterstones and found I'd bought 2666 in a three-for-two deal. Somewhere in the stunned silence I heard the tiny impudent sounds of laughter. Three days later I can still hear it, whenever I go near my bookshelf. The one which contains Gravity's Rainbow, Finnegans Wake, Infinite Jest, and now, 2666.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2666.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 08, 2009 09:23AM) (new)

In other words, you're a guy who never occasionally falls for the hype.

Just between you and me... if you're not a hipster male in your twenties, you can probably go ahead and just leave it on that shelf. I wish I had.

message 2: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul And yet - there are all those raves on this very site. Maybe I'll be amazed in a good way...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

All right... but don't say I didn't try to save you some time, Paul.

message 4: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Paganus Paul was a hipster male in his twenties, surely.

message 5: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul That's fighting talk.

message 6: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Paganus Paul wrote: "That's fighting talk."

You're still a hipster, it's just that the 20's were a while ago, weren't they?

message 7: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Paganus I mean, nobody could know what you do and still be in their twenties.
Help!

message 8: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul I remember the 30th of March 2011 as if it was yesterday.

message 9: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Paganus Paul wrote: "I remember the 30th of March 2011 as if it was yesterday."

Try saying that tomorrow.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna "...or the subversive comedian who deliberately doesn't make you laugh..."
hahahahahahahahahaha! Ha. And you weren't even trying.
I hate those guys.

message 11: by Jayaprakash (new)

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy I hated The Savage Detectives with a passion.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Wait a minute. So now reading or not reading certain books make someone a hipster?

Man, I am so glad I don't care about any of that!

It all sounds so time consuming.

message 13: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim You don't have to actually read the book. You just have to carry a dog-earred copy in your messenger sack and let it accidentally slip out onto the table of your favorite hipster coffee shop... and of course youshould also be able to trot out one or two hip quotes you knocked from the hipster blog you skim on your smartphone while waiting for the train. Oh dear! That is time consuming, isn't it?

message 14: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul there's probably an app you can download these days to take care of all that, which regularly gets updated with all the latest hipster books. If there isn't, then bing! I may have to launch one myself.

message 15: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Paul wrote: "there's probably an app you can download these days to take care of all that, which regularly gets updated with all the latest hipster books. If there isn't, then bing! I may have to launch one mys..."

And while you're developing the app, I'll see if I can't start a little cottage industry of pre-dog-earring hipster novels, with copius highlighting of ironic passages, and the occasional stray coffee stain.

We may be on to something here....

Fabiano This book is not suitable for people over the age of forty.

message 17: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Fabiano wrote: "This book is not suitable for people over the age of forty."

Laugh now, sonny, you've only got 12 months left on your hipster license - LOL!!

Jaren Mid thirties, far from hip, would call the book very good, but not great.

message 19: by Paul (last edited Dec 15, 2011 03:09PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul it turned out to be the only novel which I felt I couldn't review (although I tried) - I gave up reading it about half way, but that doesn't usually stop me rfeviewing anything! but moaning about this book felt too much like shouting rude words in a cathedral, given that nobody has ever posted a bad review of it on this site (and probably anywhere else - am i exaggerating?)

message 20: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Paganus This is why I start with a little one and work up to something bigger ;)

Amulet, The Crying of Lot 49.

message 21: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Sunday Morning, Metal machine Music

message 22: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Paganus From the sublime to the ridiculous?

I was actually playing "Sunday Morning" off "Animal Serenade" this morning, before switching over to Elton Russell.

I have only listened to MMM once, but I hear the re-master is getting fantastic feedback.

message 23: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul ha, and again, ha.

Fabiano I tell you something: this book is excellent for standing on to check my hip hair in the mirror.

message 25: by Karl (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karl Wiemer Well, little Paul, you certainly have us all figured out. Good for you! I'm humbled and ashamed to have gotten anything worthwhile out of this book. I feel like such a gullible dope!

message 26: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Well, you will note that I am not rubbishing the book, just the hype around it, the buzz, if you will; which is by no means the fault of the book or the author; might even not be the fault of the publisher. A similar effect was created by A Visit from the Good Squad last year.

In fact I did make an attempt to read 2666 and got half way through Part 4, then I gave up. I wrote copious notes towards a review but in the end I had no heart for such a thing because I had to admit I was at a loss about the whole thing.