Brett's Reviews > The Sum of All Fears

The Sum of All Fears by Tom Clancy

Mar 22, 11

Read in March, 2011

This book is full of action, from start to finish. It is also an interesting look at how American politics might work. The big takeaway, I think, is that you don't have to be a powerful nation to build a hydrogen bomb, and it wouldn't be that difficult to get such a bomb across our borders.

Although I don't foresee complete disarmament of the worlds nukes any time soon, the idea that these devices should not exist, even in the hands of world leaders, is compelling. How can even the President of the U.S. feel it is right to use weapons of mass destruction, which inevitably would kill men, women, and children? This book presents a scenario of how even good government leaders could let a situation escalate to the point of nuclear holocaust.

This was a really long book. I think it could have been shorter. The first half of the book, which focused on a treaty for peace in Palestine, almost seemed like it belonged in another book. It's really two good books wrapped into one.

I recommend this book for adults who like a lot of action, politics, submarines, and technology. There is some strong language, and a little adult subject matter (not explicit).
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sum of All Fears.