Kereesa's Reviews > Rebel Angels

Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

Jul 17, 11

bookshelves: favorites, young-adult, own, lives-up-to-the-hype, fantasy-all-others, friendship, historical, paranormal, paranormal-romance, witches-wizards-powers, grrl-power, 2011, the-real-5ers, it-s-a-dress-it-must-be-ya, fangirling, own-hardcovers
Recommended for: If you liked the first one. Even if it's a slightly like, read it. It gets better.
Read from June 30 to July 06, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: Dear God too many times to count

It's Christmas time at Spence, and Gemma, Fee, and Anne are once again plotting their way back to the realms, and the special person they've forgotten there. As they use the magic to change their futures, trouble follows them when various tribes and people of the realms fight for control of the unclaimed and freed power. Things get Libba Bray creepy-crawly, however, with Gemma's new visions, a madwoman, and the ultimate showdown between our heroine and the mysterious Circe.

If you've read my review on A Great and Terrible Beauty, you should know I love this series. I've read this one and AGATB nearly five times each, and every word, plot twist and turn are as familiar to me as Harry Potter's are.

And, in spite of that, I still utterly and devotionally love this book. It's much better than AGATB was, the story is even more riveting, and the plot isn't as predictable, and instead is so much more twisting and turning than before. There's excellent character development in this one too, for Gemma, Fee and especially Kartrik, and I adore the interweave this development has with all the crazy events in this novel.

Is it sufficient to say I really just all around LOVE this novel? I love the plot, I love the mystery even though I know it by heart now, and I love the characters in here.

Except for Ann. Ann is my least favorite person in this entire series. I liked Pippa more than I liked her. I liked Gemma's father more than I liked her. I even liked Tom more than I liked her. But I digress, you gotta have a wimpy character in there somewhere I suppose.

And the writing? So much better, smoother, and just plain good. Rebel Angels is definitely easier to get into than AGATB was.

Honestly, I don't think I've got any more to say about this one. I loved it. Most of what I think about the series I wrote about in my review on AGATB anyway, so there really isn't much for me to comment on. I surprisingly don't write a lot on books I really liked. And this is definitely one of them. 5/5

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel Angels.

Quotes Kereesa Liked

Libba Bray
“Because you can't keep up the illusion forever," I say. "No one has that much magic.”
Libba Bray, Rebel Angels

message 1: by Giselle (new)

Giselle I think I'll give AGATB another try soon. Your reviews are making me question my 1 star haha. Plus I truly don't remember any of it.

Kereesa Sometimes books are like that. I remember the first like 5 times I TRIED reading Inkheart and thinking 'this is stupid', but when I pushed through it I really liked it. Then again, I understand where you're coming from. I love AGATB, but it's definitely not my favorite of the series. All the good stuff is in the last two. And especially the last one.

message 3: by Giselle (new)

Giselle If I can find the last 2 cheap I will give them a try at least, maybe. Haha

Kereesa There's always the library! they've got plenty of copies. and they're FREEEEEEEEEEEE

message 5: by Giselle (new)

Giselle True. But the library has boogers in their books. Ewwwwwwwwww. (or other questionable smudges). I'm also getting an e-reader in the next few months so I'm sure I can swipe em from somewheres.

message 6: by Giselle (new)

Giselle I just snatched this one in hardcover on amazon for 6.50$ with shipping ;) I hope I don't regret it haha.

Kereesa I hope so too!!