Roxane's Reviews > Unica

Unica by Elise Fontenaille

Jul 29, 09

bookshelves: french, science-fiction, novella
Read in July, 2009

Quite frankly I was bit disappointed reading this very short novel (you could probably call it a novella). I'm not quite sure what all the fuss was about. Okay so it got the Grand Prix de la Science Fiction Française which is a bit like the French equivalent of the Hugo awards but while I did find the story intriguing and thought that it asked interesting questions with regards to pedophilia and the distinction between the body and the mind, I thought it was really much too short to really do justice to those delicate interrogations. I don't know how to say this but it was just "too easy". I would have like more characterization, more plot development, more everything really... The author was clearly on to something but she didn't push it far enough in my opinion. Now that I think back on it, I'm not sure it was a problem of it being too short. I've read short stories and novellas which touched me on a deeper level than any novel ever did. So it's a question of depth really and a question of this novel/novella/short story having an identity problem and not really knowing what it's supposed to be. The message and content are delivered but the packaging still needs work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unica.