Kereesa's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Jul 08, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: classics, dystopia, 2015, 2015-reading-challenge, depressing-is-depressing, meh, romance
Recommended for: Fans of 1984
Read from November 17 to 22, 2015 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This was...interesting, but much like The Day of the Triffids there was an obvious "what if I make a society [something]" at the expense of character development and story. Everyone in this novel just felt very plain, cut-outs who were increasingly cut out of the narrative when they'd served their purpose (view spoiler).

This just made the book very frustrating for me. Like bravo for you for creating this immensely imaginative world, but could you have actually done something with it instead of just preying on the fears of a early 1900s society concerning drugs, sex, and atheism?

Maybe I'm just a wee bit modern for this piece. Modern dystopians, at least in my limited experience, are often narratives on rebellion and breaking down the system. Classic ones seem to be warnings of where our society is going without giving us answers on how to change things. Is this a reflection of our society? Are we more hopeful for peace than previous generations? I'm still not sure.

What I am sure is that this book and I are not friends, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

11/17/2015 marked as: currently-reading