Kereesa's Reviews > Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Jul 08, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: favorites, own, science-fiction, own-softcovers, 2015, grrl-power, lives-up-to-the-hype, united-states-of-awesomeness, 2015-reading-challenge
Recommended for: Thriller fans
Read from June 03 to 08, 2015 , read count: 2

Here's my plan for the next week. Read this. Read The Lost World. Watch the movies. Cry. Sob. Watch Jurassic World. Play the lego game. Cry some more. The end.

3-3.5

This is the second time I've read Jurassic Park and I have to say, despite the fact I enjoyed it, I think I definitely prefer the movie. And that could simply be a bias on my part, considering I've loved the movie since I was 6 or so. That doesn't negate the fact the book is quite good, with a great blend of scifi elements and thrilling escapades, but it doesn't quite have the charm the film does for me. There are quite a few characters, Hammond, Grant, and Lex come to mind, that seem nearly one-dimension (and in the case of Hammond, much too villain-esque) compared to their film counterparts, and I surprisingly didn't feel I got to know any of these characters compared to the time I spent with them on film.

Again, probably biased, but these are my thoughts.

I can see why it's so popular though and why it was optioned for film before its publication; the core of this novel is brilliant: the scifi elements rock, but its the characters, for me anyway, that don't hold firm; it's the dinosaurs that charm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jurassic Park.

06/03/2015 marked as: currently-reading