Moira Russell's Reviews > Lady Chatterley's Lover

Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Chatterley's Lover.

Quotes Moira Liked

D.H. Lawrence
“It's no good trying to get rid of your own aloneness. You've got to stick to it all your life. Only at times, at times, the gap will be filled in. At times! But you have to wait for the times. Accept your own aloneness and stick to it, all your life. And then accept the times when the gap is filled in, when they come. But they've got to come. You can't force them.”

D.H. Lawrence
“But that is how men are! Ungrateful and never satisfied. When you don't have them they hate you because you won't; and when you do have them they hate you again, for some other reason. Or for no reason at all, except that they are discontented children, and can't be satisfied whatever they get, let a woman do what she may.”
tags: men

D.H. Lawrence
“Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically. The cataclysm has happened, we are among the ruins, we start to build up new little habitats, to have new little hopes. It is rather hard work: there is now no smooth road into the future: but we go round, or scramble over the obstacles. We’ve got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen.”

D.H. Lawrence
“The world is supposed to be full of possibilities, but they narrow down to pretty few in most personal experience. There's lots of good fish in the sea... maybe... but the vast masses seem to be mackerel or herring, and if you're not mackerel or herring yourself, you are likely to find very few good fish in the sea.”

D.H. Lawrence
“She was always waiting, it seemed to be her forte.”

D.H. Lawrence
“And that is how we are. By strength of will we cut off our inner intuitive knowledge from admitted consciousness. This causes a state of dread, or apprehension, which makes the blow ten times worse when it does fall.”

D.H. Lawrence
“Obscenity only comes in when the mind despises and fears the body, and the body hates and resists the mind.”

D.H. Lawrence
“Never was an age more sentimental, more devoid of real feeling, more exaggerated in false feeling, than our own.”

D.H. Lawrence
“Vitally, the human race is dying. It is like a great uprooted tree, with its roots in the air. We must plant ourselves again in the universe.”