Glenn's Reviews > The Raw Shark Texts

The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall

M 50x66
Sep 15, 2007

Read in September, 2007

Mellinger forced this book upon me as well, and he didn't really like it, but thought I might. I believe he's right. Certainly it's weird- a conceptual shark and a collective being that has assumed control of the internet exploding in a "matter-anti-matter" climax collision to save the hero (whose memories the shark had been feeding on), and his girlfriend (who resisted being subsumed into the collective being).

The book was highly readable, drawing me in, and something about the love-story was incredibly credible. Despite her flaws, you almost couldn't help but fall in love with Clio/Scout (the girlfriend). On that note, it's obvious that the two are the same person, if you know how to read the book correctly. In many ways you could consider the book "literature" and not just pulp fiction. There's plenty of thought and symbolism at work in the text, in a very modern world, a very modern way. For example, allusion is drawn and metaphor sustained to the Wizard of Oz, when mad scientist Dr. Trey Fidorous refers to Clio/Scout as "Dorothy," Eric as "The Tin Man," and their strangely named cat Ian as "Toto."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raw Shark Texts.

message 1: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark "Despite her flaws, you almost couldn't help but fall in love with Clio/Scout (the girlfriend)"

"...if you know how to read the book correctly."

Snob.

message 2: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark I think your review actually made me like the book less.