Adela's Reviews > The Strictest School in the World: Being the Tale of a Clever Girl, a Rubber Boy and a Collection of Flying Machines, Mostly Broken

The Strictest School in the World by Howard Whitehouse

Jul 24, 09

Recommended for: 7-9 year old girls
Read in July, 2009, read count: 1

This book started off really, really well. I was very much enjoying it...and then came the part where Emmaline was sent off to (you guessed it) the strictest school in the world. The rest of the book was predictable, and the school was nothing original (except for the school's "birds," which never received adequate explanation). Imagine every book, particularly one of Dickens', that you've read that has a bleak, strict, despairing school/orphan population combined with cruel matrons/masters. It was pretty much like that. Only not as good. It is part of a series, and I might have given the next one a chance just to see if Emmaline and Rubberbones would be entertaining since there's no strict school involved, but the plot follows a character I didn't care for.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strictest School in the World.