Dan Myers's Reviews > Ant Farm and Other Desperate Situations

Ant Farm and Other Desperate Situations by Simon Rich

Jul 07, 09

Read in January, 2007

I received this book for Christmas and I thought I'd share it with you. It's written by the former president of the Harvard Lampoon, and I'll agree with the cover blurb for once, it is whole areas.* Each chapter is just a couple of pages long and is a quirky twist on some random musing or event.

The first in the book is an imagined conversation between Abraham and Isaac on the way back from the scene of the aborted sacrifice attempt. Another transcribes a ouija board session involving a murder victim and a group of teenage girls who are mainly interested in who likes whom at school.

To give you a bit of the flavor, I'll transcribe a bit of one called "how college kids imagine the u.s. government."

-Did you hear the news Mr. President? The students at the University of Pittsfield are walking out of their classes, in protest of the war.
-(Spits out coffee). Wha-What did you say?
-Apparently, student are standing up in the middle of lectures and walking right out of the building.
-But student love lectures. If they're willing to give those up, they must really be serious about this peace thing! How did you hear about this protest?
-The White House hears about every protest, no matter how small.
-Oh, right, I remember.
You haven't heard the half of it Mr. President. The leader of the group says that if you don't stop the war today, they're going to...to...I'm sorry, I can't say it out loud. It's just too terrifying.
-Say it, dammit! I'm the President!
-All right! If you don't stop the war...they're going to stop going to school for the remainder of the week.
-Send the troops home.
-But Mr. President! Shouldn't we talk about this?
-Send the troops home.

__________
* Whole Areas = Hilarious, for those of you have have not been reading the blog carefully enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ant Farm and Other Desperate Situations.