Michele's Reviews > Poison Study

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Oct 11, 2012

Read in July, 2009

This is a book about a young lady that believes she was orphaned who is doomed to die. She is the next person in line for execution for murder. A murder she committed in self defense. Yelena is willing to except her fate, but is given a second chance. She can become the food taster for the leader of her country. Yelena trains with the kings assassin Valek to learn what the different poisons taste like. To keep her from escaping she is given a poison for which she must be given an antidote in order to keep from dying. At first it is a hard life but better than being in the dungeon cells or being executed.

Yelena is given an assignment to help to train the soldiers how to track someone. They know that she is a safe choice because she will not run away needing her antidote. She manages to elude her pursuers and make friends with two of them in a round about way that I won;t spoil for you. She ends up helping them and Yelena sets out to learn from them how to never be a victim again.

She is a strong willed young woman who is a very likable heroine. I could go on but I fear that I would totally give the story away. I kind of had to laugh because I went to get the second book and I couldn't find it so I went to the help desk. The reason I couldn't find it was because it was with the romances. Not where I would put it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison Study.

07/07/2009 page 11
07/07/2009 page 28
6.85% "This is a heroine that I think I will be able to enjoy. She is strong in the face of sure death."
07/08/2009 page 89
21.76% "Yelena is a likable heroine. I am enjoying watching her grow."
07/10/2009 page 309
75.55% "Intrigue and what could be romance abounds."
07/10/2009 page 376
91.93% "This is a heroine that the longer I "know" her the more I like her." 2 comments
10/08/2012 page 193
46.0% "I love this book and really wanted to reread it."