Lasairfiona Smith's Reviews > NOS4A2

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

May 26, 13

bookshelves: havereadin2013, iown, kindle
Read in May, 2013

Joe Hill is great and this is his most polished work to day (not that polished is always good or even desirable but the status is worth noting).

Up front - this is not a "vampire" book regardless of the title. This is fantasy tinged with horror and the vampire reference is tenuous. I'd almost say that Hill couldn't think of an appropriate title so he came up with something kinda related and called it good (I don't blame him - I don't know what I would call it either without spoilers). Expect fantasy, gore, and the human condition splashed with crazy.

This is one of those books that I would be reading along on my kindle (which is important to note since I don't have the tactile feedback of my location in the book) and I'd have to look down at my location because I was afraid I had reached the end of the book. There were so many times that felt like they couldn't get out of the scrap they were in but there was so. much. more. to come! I was on the edge of my seat! So yes, the having to check my location is a good thing in my book.

What is great is that I was on the edge of my seat and I didn't feel like any of the plot points were pulled out of a hat - so many times in horror will you be shaking with the intensity and oh look! the door frame finally cracks or something like that. There are no easy outs in this one. I think that particular bit of storytelling magic, which is damn rare, might be Joe Hill's thing. He gets better at it with every book.

I read this in two days - couldn't put it down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NOS4A2.

05/26/2013 marked as: to-read