David's Reviews > The Story of My Experiments With Truth

The Story of My Experiments With Truth by Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 07, 2009

liked it
Read in January, 2008

The version I read is an abridged edition, and was conspicuously short (I should read the unabridged edition, which might warrant more stars). Gandhi was clearly brilliant and saintly, and his dedication to truth above all (truth is God) proffered some clear and intelligent insights which I found salient. He describes his striving for truth as “experimenting with truth” and in doing so has found compelling evidence that is insightful and significant to his quest for truth. In approaching truth this way, he avoided arrogance, propriety, the illusion of infallibility, and the delusion of piety that is the downfall of so many other others who stake their claim of truth in religion, politics, pseudo-science and other forms of sophistry. He further states that those who seek humility cannot truly be humble. At the heart of his public philosophy was Satyagraha (the firmness of truth), or nonviolent resistance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of My Experiments With Truth.

07/18/2016 marked as: read