Jessica's Reviews > The Little Stranger

Sep 04, 2009

bookshelves: beach-reads, fifty-two-books-in-oh-nine
Recommended to Jessica by: zan
Read in September, 2009 , read count: 1

I really like slow-paced, unraveling narratives - which is the main reason I liked this book. Everything was interesting, but the plot thickened without me realizing it until moments later. The descriptions are fantastic; I was severely creeped out by the house, called Hundreds Hall, where most of the story takes place. This was also helped by the fact that I have an irrational fear of certain types of hallways or rooms or being the only person in a large house going to sleep. Yes, I never read this book if nobody was in my small, Brooklyn apartment. The ending, which I literally just finished 10 minutes ago, left me with enough answers and enough mystery. I also enjoyed the way the main character/narrator was written; what he would tell the reader as opposed to what I would surmise enabled my brain to do some thinking while I was being thoroughly entertained.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Stranger.

08/24/2009 page 63
08/25/2009 page 95
18.55% "Intriguing. Loving the characters so far..."
08/26/2009 page 166
32.42% "The novel picked up pace and now I have soooo many questions. Didn't want to put it down!"
08/27/2009 page 203
39.65% "I got really mad that I had to put this down this morning - it's always getting to a good part! All the time."
08/28/2009 page 252
49.22% "It's an exciting read because I'm baffled as to where the book is going - edge of my seat style. No idea what to expect."
08/31/2009 page 294
57.42% "What an awkward exchange between characters...the foreboding voice of the narrator is still creepin' me out."
09/01/2009 page 325
63.48% "Mystery is making me guess a million things - fun. Have no idea what's coming. What does the mom know?"
09/02/2009 page 387
75.59% "The pages are dwindling but not the mystery - excited to find out what is going on! Also, main character kinda cringe-worthy..."
09/04/2009 page 453
88.48% "Sadness & heartbreak - and still eerie as f*** all."

message 1: by zan (new) - rated it 4 stars

zan I'll lend you mine next time we meet! I think you'd like it.

Jessica Awesome! I'll e-mail you soon to set that up! I saw it on a Guardian list of beach reads, and remembered your blog post! Yay :)