Julia Marie's Reviews > Ophelia

Ophelia by Lisa M. Klein

Jul 08, 09

bookshelves: 2009, indulgences
Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** At first this book made me really mad. But I don't think you should snub this book completely. If you call yourself a Shakespeare connoisseur, then you should just take this as it is and enjoy it.

There have got to be a million different retellings of Hamlet. Different interpretations especially on film, whether its the straight Shakespearean story or something like the Tale of Edgar Sawtelle.
I decided ultimately to enjoy this as a retelling. Lisa Klein knows she is not Shakespeare.
I was glad that I had taken Shakespeare Honors and knew a lot about Shakespeare and Hamlet already. Hamlet is arguably the gem of English literature.

So this was my immediate reaction: "Like WTF are you fucking kidding me you can't pretend Ophelia didn't die and NO you can't mix her and Horatio!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME"

but I cheered up and enjoyed it when they made Ophelia this really cool feminist and very strong questioning woman! Awesome.
I also thought the authors focus on Shakespeare's connection to herbs and plant life and acting for the character Ophelia was extremely well executed! I wrote my Hamlet thesis paper on this myself.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ophelia.

07/07/2009 page 169