Cydnie's Reviews > Return

Return by Karen Kingsbury

Jul 27, 09

bookshelves: christian-fiction, series
Read in July, 2009

The baby of the Baxter family, Luke, has left his family and all he has ever believed. Can and will the 'prodigal son' return?
One thing that I found to be 'painted' so clearly in this book was the fact that Luke has become a "free thinker"- think outside the box, do whatever feels right at the moment, if you want to be involved with more than one person at a time that's okay, let go of those 'archaic-religious-strangling' morals that you've been raised with. etc... Luke is adamant that his family should accept the new him and his lifestyle; but, he is totally unaccepting of them. He wants to say whatever he wants, but they are to keep their opinions to themselves. I have seen this in so many situations in life and society. Those who break away from the norm so that they can be 'free and accepting of new ideas', but are in fact very closed-minded toward anyone who doesn't agree with them.
I am very curious now to finish the series. Many changes have come over the various members of the family. The underlying question stays the same, "How strong is our faith when tested?" Is our faith like a deep lake that can withstand rain and drought alike? or is it more like the temporary lake that shows up after a hard rain has overloaded the drain system- and just as quickly disappears after the storm?
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return.