Hera Diani's Reviews > Tarian Bumi

Tarian Bumi by Oka Rusmini

Sep 20, 07

You know those books that you thought they would've been really good had they been shorter?

This book is the opposite. If the writer took more time to write it a bit longer to add more emotion, nuances and all that shit, it would be at the same class as, say, 'The God of Small Things'.

It has huge potential and the writer clearly has deep knowledge about Balinese tradition. But even the first 30 pages you get to read about too many characters' lives that you'd lost which one's which character. At least I was.

I was gonna give it a two, but decided it was a three-star. At least I learned new things about Balinese people and tradition, and it's not superficial.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tarian Bumi.

Ardita Try to have a look at "Sagra", it's more like a short stories collection.

Hera Diani Yeah? Thanks for the recommendation.

Btw, Indonesian writers produced a lot of short story collections. Too lazy, so-called market demand or what?

Ardita Well, I guess life is a bit harder for professional writers to survive the way their colleagues do in countries with more vibrant reading culture, ergo the short stories.. (we do talk more than read.. he he..)