DoctorM's Reviews > The Passions of the Mind

The Passions of the Mind by Irving Stone

Sep 03, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: biography

Irving Stone spent a lifetime writing great, huge, ponderous novelised historical biographies. No one has ever accused him of vivid prose or crafting memorable characters. But he's readable, and I grew up reading his biographical novels about Darwin, Schliemann, Michaelangelo, and Freud and finding in them my introductions to places and times and ideas I might otherwise have missed.

I read "Passions of the Mind" in high school--- my first introduction to Freud and to fin-de-siecle Vienna and the Habsburg Monarchy. I was fascinated enough with Vienna and its twilight to ultimately go on to do a PhD based on Habsburg studies, and Stone's account of Freud's life sent me to read about the history of psychoanalysis and ultimately off into critical theory.

This is a slow, ponderous book. But it's a good introduction to Freud and his life, and it's full of period detail and research. For all Stone's failings as a writer, this is a book I remember fondly and one I will recommend here.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passions of the Mind.