liz's Reviews > Certain Girls

Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner

Jul 06, 09

bookshelves: fun-slash-junk
Read in June, 2009

Okay, so Jennifer Weiner's oeuvre is not one that I'm a huge huge fan of, although I do appreciate how she gave lots of women a voice (while also regretting how some people assume her characters speak for all women). So I figured this would be pretty run-of-the-mill chick-lit, and turned out to be oddly disappointed, at least at first, by its emphasis on mother-daughter relationships. But I found myself extremely interested in the characters, especially the mother, so the book turned out to be decently rewarding, for what it was.

The two of them are always super-polite to each other. They say please andthank you and oh, of course, that will be fine. I suppose it could be worse. Last year Tara Carnahan's mother called her father a rat bastard during parent/teacher conferences, then threw her cell phone at his head, which was a double offense because at the Philadelphia Academy we're supposed to use respectful language at all times, and cell phones aren't allowed.

(and yes, Philadelphia, a pleasant surprise - I recognized some of the street names and landmarks.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Certain Girls.