Sandi's Reviews > Backup

Backup by Jim Butcher

Jul 15, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, 2009, library-books-read
Read in July, 2009

40 minutes. 40 minutes is how long it took me to read this "book". It's supposedly a novella, but it's barely a short story. The last page of the book is #70, but it starts on page 7 and has blank pages and pictures. I spent 1.5 minutes counting the number of pages with text. There were 56 pages with words. I still had time leftover on my 45 minute recumbent bike ride at the gym when I was done reading the story and counting pages.

I did enjoy the short story, but I would have really felt ripped off if I had purchased this book rather than checking it out at the library. As a short story, I'd give it 3 stars. It's good if you're a Dresden Files fan and you've read at least through Blood Rites. It you haven't read that far in the series, do not read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Backup.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ± I'd thought this was a graphic novel. I'd've been totally pissed if I bought it and found out it's a novella. I'll definitely wait for paperback. Thanks.

Sandi blackrose wrote: "I'd thought this was a graphic novel. I'd've been totally pissed if I bought it and found out it's a novella. I'll definitely wait for paperback. Thanks."

It has about 6 full-page drawings in it. Don't even get it in paperback. I suspect that it will eventually be part of a short-story collection. Your best bet is getting it from the library. It's really not a keeper or a must-pass-on. As a fan of the Dresden Files series, I was amused, but it didn't contribute anything necessary to the series.

message 3: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly  Maybedog I'll see if my library has it.

message 4: by D (new)

D If the story was good then why only 2 stars? Just curious. I was a bit put off by Side Jobs. Just trying to decide if I should spend my money or head to the library.

Sandi D wrote: "If the story was good then why only 2 stars? Just curious. I was a bit put off by Side Jobs. Just trying to decide if I should spend my money or head to the library."

It's been a while, but I think I gave it two stars because I felt cheated by how short it was. It isn't even long enough to be a novella, but it's packaged as one.

For the record, since this review, it was included in the anthology Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files and I found it much more enjoyable the second time. I especially liked the narration by James Marsden. He did a great job with the voice of Thomas.

message 6: by D (new)

D I totally agree. I have purchased every book and every audio book. Marsden is the voice of Dresden to me.

Sandi D wrote: "I totally agree. I have purchased every book and every audio book. Marsden is the voice of Dresden to me."

For me, he's not. Up until
Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files, I had only read the print versions of the Dresden Files novels. The Harry in my head was totally different than the Harry of the audiobooks. I actually liked the substitute narrator that did Ghost Story because he sounded more like my head Harry.