Amy's Reviews > Twilight of a Queen

Twilight of a Queen by Susan Carroll

Aug 25, 09

bookshelves: arcs, historical-fiction, read-in-2009
Read in August, 2009

The year is 1588. The Spanish Armada is threatening Elizabeth’s Protestant England, the Duc de Guise is harassing the cross-dressing, Metrosexual French King, Henri and Henri’s mother, Catherine de Medici, is still on the hunt for the Silver Rose.

The aging Catherine is not growing old gracefully and is desperate to find the Silver Rose. Louis Xavier, a necromancer, is Catherine’s last hope and she hires him to go to Faire Isle and to abduct the Silver Rose. Unfortunately for Catherine, she has been played false and Xavier is actually a pirate with no intention of going to Faire Isle. However, fate has another plan in mind.

The Silver Rose, now called Meg, is safe among the Daughters of the Earth on Faire Isle. Ariane, the oldest of the Cheney sisters, heads up this coven of healing women and is busy preparing for the naming of her successor when a stranger (Xavier) washes ashore of Faire Isle. She is quite shocked, to say the least, when it is revealed who this stranger truly is.

Jane Danvers, has been persecuted and exiled for her religious beliefs by Queen Elizabeth and is now living on Faire Isle. Jane feels a strange connection with this stranger from the beginning and offers to care for him while he recuperates. They eventually fall in love.
However, the “and they lived happily ever after” part is going to have to wait – Xavier’s rouse has been found out by Catherine and she is one ticked off lady. Now he must do whatever possible to save himself, the Silver Rose and the other women on Faire Isle from The Dark Queen.

Twilight of a Queen is the fifth book in Susan Carroll’s Dark Queen series. While it is not a required to have read the other four before this one, you would really miss out on some good reading and I am ever the neurotic one when it comes to reading a series in order. I do have to say that I was a bit under-whelmed by this one. I found the other four books in the series more entertaining …Twilight of a Queen was more a love story, which is fine, but I wanted more Catherine and more drama!

Best Line: “Steel sheathed in velvet, that is what a woman must be in order to survive.”

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight of a Queen.

08/02/2009 page 67

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Layla (last edited Oct 31, 2009 12:37PM) (new) - added it

Layla Ward I started reading this novel after researching and writiing a script on Henry IV, the king that followed Henry III upon his death in 1589. I was curious to read some fiction related to this time period, after reading so much non-fiction. The script will eventually be a documentary on dvd. Anyway, I am on page 100. It has been fun. I realize there are four books leading up to this one, but wanted to dive in at the time just prior to the Spanish Armada.