Janet's Reviews > The Magician's Assistant

The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett

Sep 17, 07

This is a warm and very human story. I loved getting to know the main character, Sabine, and watching her come to terms with the choices she's made as she struggles to build a new life after losing her magician. All the characters in this story are so multi-dimensional that I found myself simply engaging with them at a human level and losing the critical distance I usually maintain when I read fiction.

My only real complaint with the novel involves the pacing. Some of the narrative changes were a bit abrupt and, on the other hand, the Nebraska sections drag on with lots of detail about Walmart and kitchens tables, but overall the novel is very satisfying.

Finding love in unexpected places and learning to love in unexpected ways are the two themes that stayed with me after this novel. Sometimes we manage to see behind the illusions, to step out from behind the masks, and to claim something beautiful from the mistakes we make.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Assistant.

Eileen Wow, great review! Thank you.

Janet Thanks for your kind words, Eileen!

Eileen Yes , Janet, my book club chose this book for our February discussion. Your review gave me a good idea for the flavor of the book, while still maintaining it's mystery.

Janet How delightful! I hope your group enjoys the novel. I added you a a friend -- hope that's okay.

Jenn Great review