Grace Tjan's Reviews > The Mill on the Floss

The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mill on the Floss.

07/16/2009 page 50
07/20/2009 page 175
38.13% "The development of the relationship between Tom and his schoolmate is interesting. What is going to happen when he meets Maggie?"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Wow, you just whipped through to the end eh?

Grace Tjan Hi Lee. I couldn't put it down and had to read on until the end. Those last hundred pages or so is incredibly intense, not just plot-wise, but also in terms of the characters' emotional turmoil. I didn't see the ending coming at all. I still don't know what to think of it. It's moving --- but I don't know if I like it.

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Yes, I completely agree. The last hundred or so pages kept me up reading very late. I would have like to see what would have happened to her character if she had lived on and matured even more. The ending felt quite abrupt.

message 4: by Ayu (new) - added it

Ayu Palar @Sandy you just spoiled the ending T___T

Boof NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Oh no, I wish I hadn't seen this, I haven't got this far :o(

message 6: by Sherien (last edited Jul 24, 2009 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sherien what? u've finished already??? I remember it was so engaging I couldn't put it down from the middle part until the end...So which one do u like better, TMOTF or middlemarch?

Grace Tjan Ayu wrote: "@Sandy you just spoiled the ending T___T"

Oops --- sorry guys! I forgot to put up the spoiler warning. I was responding to Lee who had finished too. Mea culpa. ;(

I have deleted that spoilery comment.

Grace Tjan Sherien wrote: "what? u've finished already??? I remember it was so engaging I couldn't put it down from the middle part until the end...So which one do u like better, TMOTF or middlemarch?"

Sherien, I read into the a.m.s last night to finish it. It was unputdownable (is that a word?) lol

I think that Middlemarch is still superior as a novel. The scope is much bigger and we get to follow the characters far longer into their lives. But TMOTF feels more intimate and personal --- perhaps because it is somewhat semi-autobiographical. I don't know if I really like Maggie though, although I symphatize with her. Dorothea Brooke in Middlemarch shares many of Maggie's traits and is perhaps the closest we get to Maggie as a more mature woman.

message 9: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Sorry you guys, I wasn't thinking properly. That was my fault. I posted here to Sandy's review instead of the Victorians thread thinking it would be more private. I kind of knew the outcome before I read the book and it didn't affect me too much while reading.

Grace Tjan Lee -- it was me who blabbed about the spoiler. I forgot that there were other readers who had not finished. Remind me next time. :)

message 11: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee It's sometimes hard to know who is connected to who here! It's difficult to avoid spoilers even on private review comments. I'll try to be more careful next time too. :-)