Becky's Reviews > Emma Jean Lazarus Fell in Love

Emma Jean Lazarus Fell in Love by Lauren Tarshis

Jul 07, 09

bookshelves: juvenile, realistic-fiction, audio-books
Read in July, 2009

I love Emma-Jean Lazarus! These books made me laugh out loud and absolutely fall in love with Emma-Jean. Even though she is socially distant from her peers, her character manages to leap off the page to tug on the reader's heartstrings. The social problems of Tarshis's novels are the small, average, every day tragedies of junior high. Who is popular, why are they popular, what boys like what girls, do I have egg salad breath?!

Emma-Jean's story is especially interesting because she shares the narration with her friend, Colleen. Colleen is a happy, nice girl who wants to be everyone's friend and therefore worries a lot about what people think of her. Readers get to hear Colleen's thoughts as well as Emma-Jean's throughout much of both novels. I highly recommend Emma-Jean to anyone who is looking for a good realistic fiction title, or those who are trying to decide which 2010 Rebecca Caudill nominee to read next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma Jean Lazarus Fell in Love.