Francesca Russell's Reviews > Heaven to Betsy

Heaven to Betsy by Maud Hart Lovelace

Jul 05, 2009

Read in January, 1983

I can't even begin to express how much I LOVE this series of books. I discovered them at my school's library when I was in elementary school, and instantly fell in love. I have read them over and over again throughout the years, and they still hold up.

The series starts with the book "Betsy-Tacy" and is about two little girls (5 years old at the time) called Betsy and Tacy. The books take place at the turn of the century in Minnesota and are just wonderful stories of growing up. There are about ten books in the series, and they continue on through high school and finish up with Betsy's wedding.

"Heaven to Betsy", I think may be my favorite of the series. It is Betsy's freshman year of high school, and among the important things in her life that year are the big essay contest, her family's move downtown, and her big crush on "the tall dark stranger".

If you haven't read this books, I'm telling you - READ THEM! The first four in the series ("Betsy-Tacy", "Betsy-Tacy and Tib", "Betsy-Tacy and the Big Hill" and "Betsy-Tacy Go Downtown") are for younger readers (buy them for your daughters!), but I think even grown-ups can really appreciate the rest of the series, and get swept away by how fun it must have been before TV and the internet - back when dances and ice skating and horseback riding and picnics were what you did for fun.

Oh, and these books are all based on fact. Maud Hart Lovelace is "Betsy", and all the characters in the books are based on her friends growing up. "Deep Valley", the town where the books take place, is actually Mankato, MN. I visited there a couple of years ago when I was in the area, and you can walk around and see all the houses where the "characters" grew up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven to Betsy.