Jennifer's Reviews > Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World

Dewey by Vicki Myron

Jul 10, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in July, 2009

I feel like reading Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World is a modern librarian rite of passage. Almost everyone in my branch has passed this book around, and I'd venture to say that a majority of those on the hold list are librarians as well.

That's okay. There aren't a lot of New York Times bestsellers that really talk about libraries in any kind of modern sense. Plus, who doesn't like cats?

Well, I guess I didn't quite get the hype. I felt like the book was charming, but long-winded. Dewey seemed like a lovely animal, and I liked the photographs... but I was a bit bored by the whole thing. Really, the only reason why I finished the book was due to the grief that I would get from my co-workers if I didn't.

The end was touching. I did get a little misty-eyed when Dewey had his final vet visit, but beyond that, I just felt sorry for Vicki throughout the book. She had a rough allotment in life; this was definitely her story, using Dewey as a narrative framework.

I think I would've liked this a little better if it was shorter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dewey.

07/05/2009 page 43
15.52% "How did I get suckered into all of these sappy books?! I blame Danielle."