Becky's Reviews > War of the Rats

War of the Rats by David L. Robbins

Jul 05, 09

Read in July, 2009

Finally I have read a novel by my former creative writing professor! I can stop feeling guilty now.

Wasn't sure if I would enjoy it because it is a war novel, but it is actually a love story masquerading as a war novel - kind of. Also it was about tactics, survival, humanity, good and evil, and some very good characters.

Yet at the same time, by the end, I found myself a little perplexed regarding what it was about - it both began long before and ended after the supposed central conflict of the novel, a sniper's duel. This off-center presentation was very appropriate, since war shouldn't be reduced to a simple high concept narrative, but it was rather noticeable by the end.

Most of the problem is that two characters are given highly unsatisfactory endings, which was not the author's intent - the editor decided to take out the last four chapters for mysterious editorial reasons; they are available on the author's website. When I get around to reading them I suspect I'll feel more satisfied.

Also, I felt like Zaitsev, one of the main characters, didn't become really complex until about halfway through - would've been nice to get to know him earlier.

Generally a beautifully written, high tension, character-driven story by one of the nicest, smartest people I know!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War of the Rats.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily I'm glad I read this review and hope to be able to find the "missing chapters" online.