Annalisa's Reviews > Fairy Tale

Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog

542037
Jul 05, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, romance, cover
Recommended for: girls under the age of 17
Read on July 05, 2009

Most ya fiction captures the deep emotion of teenage life without the drama queen narcissism. This book is not one of them. If you can imagine a gaggle of self-absorbed girls jabbering away in high-pitched squeal, you'd have a good grasp on the voice. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. By the end of the first chapter I was ready to gag and chapters two and three were even worse. I nearly gave up at that point; it's hard to read a book in a POV you cannot relate to. Fortunately, there is some funny internal commentary to Morgan that redeems her and makes her less annoying as the book progresses.

The plot is about a girl with a fairy-tale life complete with star quarterback drop-dead-gorgeous boyfriend who so happens to be her next-door neighbor since birth (look up Westermark effect) and so happens to have the same birthday as her. A little too perfect, but it all comes tumbling down when her boyfriend discovers that he's actually a fairy and at their upcoming sweet sixteen birthday party he's supposed to go back and be king in fairy world. It's not a charming romance between an ordinary girl and a magical fairy, but a struggling one where they are fighting to keep the relationship and their hearts together while these worlds are driving them apart. It starts off romantic and cheesy and falls apart; I like that.

Besides the voice, I had a few issues with the book. I found it implausible that Cam could be a fairy his whole life and not sprout wings and start shrinking until about a week before he gets his fairy powers. I also thought there were unanswered questions about Pip's history in Otherworld (why he was really hurt? how exactly do the portals work?) and Morgan's psychic ability (I thought that was going to play into some twist at the end). There's a lot of inference to the enchantress mystery with no answers; it's just part of the story so Morgan could see Dawn and Cam's changes. And if fairy magic did not work on Morgan, how come Pip was starting to look hot to her? Plus if Pip is supposed to be Cam's replacement, shouldn't he take his name too? The were also a few minor inconsistencies within the story, but not anything that would distract the target market in for a light read.

This is definitely not crossover fiction for adults, and with references to things like The OC and Sevens, it assuredly dates the novel, but I think girls today will enjoy it and relate to the protagonist. It's not deep or profound, but it is a fun read. It'd categorize the book as young-adult chick lit. I liked that Balog didn't pull out an inconceivable ending to a story that seems to have no happy resolution. Although the ending is predictable I still found it satisfying and thought Balog did a good job of getting the reader to change course and want the ending that isn't exactly happy but it isn't exactly sad; it's just what's meant to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairy Tale.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara I read about 30 pages, then quit because I was too annoyed by Morgan, but I like your idea about the paranormal universe tearing apart a normal couple. This review conviced me to give the book another shot, so thanks.

Annalisa I think teenage girls in general can be annoying :). It's a cute read once you get over the voice.

Abby YES!! I thought the EXACT same thing about the portals and Morgan's psychic abilities and felt it would have been better as a plot twist. I think the psychic thing was just a convenience to the plot. =/