Errolyn's Reviews > What Happens in London

1940687
Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: romance, favorites
Read in July, 2009

First I must say it is great to read a romance book that does not have some shirtless man with a waxed chest on the cover. Don't get me wrong...my new found love for romance novels have brought me nothing but joy...but darn if those covers aren't shame inducing sometimes. So I must praise the cover because I can read it in public with getting smirks from strangers.

Now on to the book. There is not much to say but that I enjoyed it a lot. I started this book at 3pm, by 9:30 I had finished it...this is how much I loved/enjoyed reading it. Not that it was the greatest romance novel ever written, but had everything I liked in romance novels.

1. A non typical story. Yes they are all about the same. Two people meet, they hate each other, then they love each other, they fight, then they make up, get married and have babies. But even while having some of the same cliches..it managed to appear fresh. And it did not have the typical plot contrivances and misunderstandings to keep the two main characters apart for no sensible reason but unneeded angst...which always just annoys me and makes the characters look dumb.

2. Witty banter. I love clever dialogue. I love funny and sarcastic quips. This book was full of them and had me chuckling throughout at almost every page. Both the hero and heroine of the book were smart and plucky and slightly odd. I loved them for it.

3. The female was strong. Se was not sniveling or trying to hard...she just was and she was relateable. This goes a long way.

All this conspired to make the book loads of fun for me, and when I am having fun...books get devoured. This was a kind of book that is great when you just want something fun and light to brighten up your day or otherwise humdrum week. My only complaint is that I would have liked to go more into Harry's family situation and some of the secondary characters more.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happens in London.