Tiffany's Reviews > The Seduction of Water

The Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman

Jul 20, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in July, 2009

Okay so I finally finished this one. The author lost her zest and if someone were to play a drinking game based solely off the of the words "half-mooned", they'd be dead within three chapters.

The characters are all alike there is no difference to them and they melt together. Each time I had to put the book down and start it even if it was just an hour later I forgot who was who. The characters all talked the same even repeating the same sentences from another, or using similar or exact phrases only two pages before.

The plot line is predictable and boring. All writers who write multiple books have a certain writing style, but Carol Goodman repeats a lot of formulas. Like Midnight Villa and Lake of Dead Languages contain Latin scholars and/or teachers. The Ghost Orchid and Seduction of Water contain main characters as authors who aren't yet established. So you just sort of lose the magic. Lake of Dead Languages was an awesome read because it was so original. Unfortunately, I think I'm shelving Carol Goodman for awhile. I'm ready for new adventures.

The book wasn't bad on whole I guess, but it wasn't good. The actual story didn't start till about page 200 of a 400 page book. It only got interesting in the last 100 pages. Even than it didn't mesh with the beginning of the book. The people in the book are changed abruptly or do not handle events in a realistic matter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seduction of Water.

07/14/2009 page 109

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard What drew you to this book in the first place? Just wondering. Richard

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard I love your honesty.

Tiffany I really liked The Lake of Dead Languages by the same author. Unfortunately this seems rather slow to get into. I thought perhaps cause it got such a good rating among other Carol Goodman fans it would be good.

message 4: by Richard (new)

Richard Tarott wrote: "I really liked The Lake of Dead Languages by the same author. Unfortunately this seems rather slow to get into. I thought perhaps cause it got such a good rating among other Carol Goodman fans it w..."

Please keep me posted on this book. Thank you.