Becky's Reviews > Relentless

Relentless by Dean Koontz

Jul 05, 09

Read in July, 2009

I bought this book and literally couldn't wait to read it - HUGE Dean Koontz fan and this book sounded like it would follow along the lines of "Life Expectancy" which I adored. However, within the first chapter I began to realize that as much as I wanted to love this book and laugh out loud like I normally do, it wasn't going to happen.

This book almost seems like it's trying way too hard to be funny, whereas with Koontz's other books the humor was effortless. The amount of adjectives alone almost cause you to drown in over-wordage. Read the first two chapters of the book and you'll see immediately what I'm talking about. It's like he tried to make this a funny book with a slight suspense-thriller tinge, when it should have been the other way around - that's his winning recipe. The narration came off yappy and the descriptors were out of this world - in a sentence that had 12 words in it about 8 of them were adjectives. I read the book in one afternoon but I really had to push myself through the first several chapters - even considered returning the book!

I hate that I didn't love it - it was just an "okay" book. I hope his next one is better but it seems like he is starting a streak of fluff books - "Your Heart Belongs to Me" and this one are duds in my estimation.

Sorry Dean :o(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Relentless.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ashleyTIA (new)

ashleyTIA I was not a fan of "Your Heart Belongs to Me." I totally thought it was going to go in a different direction.