Michelle's Reviews > Evermore

Evermore by Alyson Noel

Jul 05, 09

bookshelves: 2009, fantasy, ya
Read in July, 2009

Stop me if you've heard this one before:

Girl moves to new city. New, rich, and perfect boy shows up to school and immediately shows marked attention to girl. Boy has all kinds of odd abilities - moves fast, is drop dead gorgeous, never eats - and girl can't figure him out but can't stay away either.

Ring any bells?

I felt like I had already read the first hundred pages or so in this Twilight wannabe where Ever loses her family in a tragic car accident and moves in with her aunt in California. After the accident, Ever can see aura's and read minds - which causes no end of turmoil in her backstabbing and hormone driven high school. Then she meets the mysterious Damen and finds herself drawn to him even though she doesn't understand him. Blah, blah, blah, then someone tries to kill Ever blah, blah, blah and Damen tries to prove he is worthy of her love.

Okay, maybe I'm more than a little harsh in this review, but I felt the story was just so flimsy. The explanations for Damen's behavior were more than a little weak and his whole history more than a little implausible. Alyson Noel gives the reader just enough a glimpse into his back story to think "ok, I can sorta see it.." then changes the subject and never goes back to anything more substantial. And let's not even get me started on the villain in this one shall we? One word: CARDBOARD. And how Ever escapes from her? My eyes are still a-rollin'. The one thing I did like were Ever's geeky friends Haven and Miles. Their lunchtime conversations were much appreciated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evermore.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Courtney bummer. i just checked this out on a recommendation but maybe i should pass it over.

Michelle I know, I kept having a ton of people saying how good it was. Maybe it's just me. Let me know what you think - I'm interested in your opinion.

Alethea A Michelle wrote: "Maybe it's just me."

It's not just you ^_^

Michelle Thanks Alethea! Glad I'm not alone ;)

Patsy Orteza I thought it was a mix of Twilight and the Blue Bloods series.

Michelle Yea I can see that Patsy - although I liked both Blue Bloods and Twilight better ;)

Patsy Orteza Haha yeah. Same here.
This one's.. how'd you put it?
A 'twilight wannabe?'
...
Agreed. :P

message 8: by chloe (new)

chloe my uncle gave me this book, i thought it sucked flat out. People are probably gonna be comparing everything to twilight nowadays but i have to admit there were a lot of similar things. I mean Blue Moon, New Moon??

Alethea A I just didn't like the writing. I can't stand MDLC either (Blue Bloods) but at least she has a creative mythology and that keeps me reading.

message 10: by Cintamani (new)

Cintamani this review was stolen.. ive seen it on like a million sites already.. come on

Crystal i agree it remined me of twilight all the way even if i did enjoy reading it but its not the only book i read reacently that has remined me of twilight and it not just the story line it the whole vampire thing as if everyone has fallen in love with vampires

Crystal im not saying i didt like it because i do - i love the book 5/5 im just saying it reminded me of twilight which i also really like - well the books anyway=D

message 13: by Fire's_sonnet (new)

Fire's_sonnet I too have read the book but I myself don't really understand my opinion about it. But one thing I am just getting SICK of is comparing the similarity of Evermore to Twilight. I mean, give Noel a break for the love of God! It's not like she just said to herself one day, 'Hey, I think I'm going to my best to try imitate Twilight'. I mean it's just ridiculous. But I do know that ir wasn't as well written as I'd hoped.

message 14: by Amber (last edited Apr 11, 2010 11:41PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Amber Danay wrote: "Woah, woah, woah. Okay, look..Michelle, you bitch with the totally horrible critisism, and obviously bad taste in books, although me on the other hand, I VERY much enjoyed this book, this book has ..."

First of all Danay, believe me, you didn't have to repeat three times that you are 14, I figured it out within three seconds due to the immature nature of your reply. There is no need to attack someone for their opinion. Yes, yours differed from Michelle's, but she did mention some parts of the book she did like, and stated her opinion in a concise and inoffensive manner...can you say the same? Are you going to call everyone who disliked this book a foul name? I sincerely hope not.

Yuval Okay, I really liked this review, because it's one of the first ones who are actually positive! Some parts of it has some Twilight rip-off, but, come on people, each book has a unique something in it !