Pepijn's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

M_50x66
Jul 05, 09

Read in January, 1980

The godfather of all modern fantasy. You either love or hate it. I was brought up with it (even my name was inspired by it), so perhaps it was inevitable that I would love it. But I genuinely think it's an amazing book. It manages to be grand and epic and at the same time intimate and cozy. The descriptions of the landscapes are so beautiful that if you close your eyes you can almost hear the sounds and smell the smells of the mountains, the forests and meadows, the streams, rivers and seas.

The plot fits together with almost mathematical precision, despite being intricate and subtle. It has so many levels that you can keep rereading the book and discover something new every time. The characters and creatures are well-defined, diverse and interesting and the book uses them to explore themes of power, death and the nature of evil, without ever becoming didactic.

The story makes you feel for the characters so much that I defy anyone to make it through the ending with dry eyes. Everyone should at least try to read it once in their lives. Even if you don't like "fantasy", because most modern fantasy can't hold a candle to the Lord of the Rings.

Two tips though, if you haven't read it yet: read The Hobbit first, and then skip the prologue to the Lord of the Rings!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.