Cathy 's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Warning: don't read even goodreads descriptions of books 2 or 3 and don't read reviews of 2 or 3, and read reviews of this book at your own risk. There's a big spoiler that some people claim to have guessed but I really doubt most of them did. All of the book 2 reviews I've seen mention it, so don't read ahead and don't read the end.

I'm hoping to write a longer review someday, but I will say briefly that I thought it was great. There are many really lovely phrases and the images are vivid and clear. Yes, Clary does too much an a short period of time and takes most of it in stride. So does every YA hero. She does at least blow up a few times. Less perfectness might have been ok by me, but it's not a major issue. I don't know what all of the fuss is about with this book and the author, but I thought it was very enjoyable and considerably superior to most YA and adult fiction. Except I'm not yet too sure about the big twist that I can't mention, but am willing to trust the author and see what the next book brings. It at least made it a much less predictable story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

07/11/2009 page 20
4.12% "Starts off strong. Reader is good but more like being read to by a friend than an actor reading. Pleasant voice."
08/08/2009 page 50
10.31% "Jace is adorable, reminds me of Lucian in Jessica's Guide... but blond. And I'm a dirty old(ish) lady/cougar."
08/08/2009 page 51
10.52% "Don't read 1st review by Natalie unless you like spoilers. Not a comment on the negative review. Flagged but no idea how long that takes."
08/23/2009 page 150
30.93% "Hard to update an audio, no idea what page. Good book, ok reader, Clary is great, Jace is cool."
08/30/2009 page 200
41.24% "I still like it. It's gotten such mixed reviews, but so far, so good for me. Slow but steady progress in the car."
09/24/2009 page 400
82.47% "Lots of good descriptions, strong for a teen paranormal entry. Clary is too brave, but typical of genre."
10/25/2009 page 496
100% "Finally finished 10/24"