Ira Bespalova's Reviews > The Master and Margarita

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

Aug 14, 09

bookshelves: favorites, had-to-read, love-it-with-all-my-heart
Read in January, 2006

"Manuscripts don't burn" ("Рукописи не горят")

The Master and Margarita is my most favorite book which impresses me so much every time when I read this excellent masterpiece again and again. The novel tells about numerous important interesting things, namely, a romantic affair of Master and Margarita, the eternal struggle between Satan and God, and moral values of Soviet citizens at the beginning of 1920’s.
In my opinion, it is one of the most wonderful and best books of this great writer. The characters of the protagonists are presented very convincingly. The story impressed me so much that I have a feeling that I know these persons very well and am able to read their thoughts. The interesting fact is that Voland is not a negative character in The Master and Margarita . As for me, he is like a teacher: he punishes people only when they commit sins. Voland is a villain with kind aims and hopes that one day people will become better without committing sins.
Despite the book is quite big and at times hard to understand even for us, native speakers, I still consider it being one of my most favorite ones…

FACTS…
• The Master and Margarita novel is said to have been read by Mick Jagger and influenced his writing of the song "Sympathy for the Devil".
• The Franz Ferdinand song "Love and Destroy" was based on a scene where Margarita flies over Moscow on her way to the Walpurgis Night Ball.
• In the videogame Grand Theft Auto 4, a mission is entitled "The Master and The Molotov", in which you kill a Russian man named Mikhail.
• The grunge band Pearl Jam were influenced by the novel's confrontation between Yeshua Ha-Nozri and Pontius Pilate for the song, "Pilate" on their 1998 album "Yield".

"Not causing trouble, not touching anything, fixing the primus" ("Не шалю, никого не трогаю, починяю примус") - (a "primus" is a brand/type of portable stove) – Behemoth :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Master and Margarita.

Quotes Ira Liked

Mikhail Bulgakov
“Not causing trouble, not touching anything, fixing the primus.”
Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita

Mikhail Bulgakov
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness, who was getting muddled by Koroviev. Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.
'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.
'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Awesome review, dear!! I love this book so much!
Have you watched the series? I love it as much as the book ♥