K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > Neuromancer

Neuromancer by William Gibson

Jul 28, 10

liked it
bookshelves: 1001-core, 501, sci-fi
Recommended to K.D. by: TIME Magazine 100 Best Novels; 1001 Must Read Books Before You Die (2006-2010)
Recommended for: Aaron who currently reads a lot of dystopian novels
Read from July 25 to 28, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

A mind-bender of a read. It has all the elements of a top rate science fiction and a post-industrial dystopian novel. First published in 1984, it was ahead of its time. It coined the term "cyberspace" which Gibson, long before the internet and other virtual technologies were integrated into everyday life, described as "a three-dimensional representation of computer data through which users communicate and do business, alongside a whole host of more dubious activities." In fact, this book said to have inspired a generation of technophiles.

Since it coined the term cyberspace, this novel also created a genre in literature called "cyberpunk" which is science fiction genre noted for its focus on "high tech and low life". Cyberpunk works are well situated within postmodern literature. Cyberpunk plots often center on a conflict among hackers, artificial intelligences, and megacorporations, and tend to be set in a near-future Earth, rather than the far-future settings or galactic vistas found in novels such as Isaac Asimov's Foundation or Frank Herbert's Dune (Source: Wikipedia).

So, having thought of something that were not existing during the time of its writing is only the reason why this is a mind-bender of a read. Yes? The answer is no. It also has the most imaginative and edge-of-the-seat science fiction thriller that I've read in my life.

The story revolves around Case who is top-notch hacker (Gibson's equivalent term is "computer cowboy" or a data thief) who "hacks into" the virtual world until his brain was maimed by a client he has double-crossed. Since he lost his ability to hack, he decides to live in seclusion until he an ex-military businessman Armitage arrives and offers to help him for unknown reason. I will not tell you the reason as it is too much for a spoiler but it is one of the more complex but still believable (as it does not insult your intelligence) plot for a sci-fi novel. It combines the pace and urgency of the best thrillers with scope, invention, and intellectual rigor of Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's Brave New World but it added a lot more of creativity and inventiveness that I think it is even better on each of those aspects than its predecessors.

18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neuromancer.

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 8: by Apokripos (new) - added it

Apokripos Kakaiba na talaga mga binabasa mo ngayon. Cyber-punk naman 'to. Trilogy din ata ang mga books nito ehhh...

K.D. Absolutely Yes, droog. But I will only read this book. It is included in the 1001 Books so I have no choice but to read it. It is also included in TIME 100. It started cyberpunk genre even during that time that there was no internet yet (or maybe not to the extent that we are using it today). Mayroon na ritong binabanggit na hologram. Page 25 but it is already getting interesting.

message 6: by Apokripos (new) - added it

Apokripos Sadly, I haven't found a copy yet of this book. Sayang talaga, trip ko pa naman ang way-over-the-top-sci-fi...
Ahehehe... :D

message 5: by Apokripos (new) - added it

Apokripos Kasama din ba sa list yung Snow Crash ni Neal Stephenson, isa na naman yung sa mga hinahanap ko na cyber-punk.
Isa sa mga recent cyber-punk sci-fi authors na nakita ko si Greg Egan. Sobrang hardcore ang mga books niya, kaya nung nakitang kong sale ang lahat halos ng books niya sa NBS for 75php lang, binili ko na kahit alam ko pagkatapos nun maghihirap ako. Pero may vibes ako na wala siya sa 1001 list.

K.D. Absolutely jzhunagev wrote: "Kasama din ba sa list yung Snow Crash ni Neal Stephenson, isa na naman yung sa mga hinahanap ko na cyber-punk.

Wala nga. Send me your email add. I will give you the latest 1001 list.

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly I got today a 1001 book, THE MYSTERIES OF UDOLPHO by Ann Radcliffe, P99 only.

I think I also got a 501 book, STORIES by Katherine Mansfield. It contains the short story "Bliss" plus 26 more of her short stories. P115 only.

I also got AMONG FLOWERS: A WALK IN THE HIMALAYA by a 1001 author Jamaica Kincaid (a travel memoir, she went on a seed-gathering trek in the Himalaya). Hardbound, new, with the author's picture P120.

Finally, THE GOD DELUSION by the famous modern atheist Richard Dawkins. Hardbound P99.

Correction too. what marie gave me are books 7, 8 and 9 of Powell's A Dance to the Music of Time. No book 3. She also gave me an extra copy of book 8. I will give you this extra copy of book 8 (The Soldier's Art).

K.D. Absolutely Joselito wrote: "I got today a 1001 book, THE MYSTERIES OF UDOLPHO by Ann Radcliffe, P99 only.

No, thanks. Don't give me those books from Marie yet. I still have lots to read. I have A Dance to the Music of Time Vol 4. I think it is better to wait for vol 1 to show up so it will be in sequence.

Badger I think you mean cyberpunk.