Mer's Reviews > The Neverending Story

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

Apr 28, 07

bookshelves: alltimefavorites, seminal, scififantasy, nostalgia, childhood
Recommended for: bookworms, existentialists, anyone who wants to understand where I'm coming from.
Read in January, 1983

There's something really, really special about this one.

One of the most important and precious books from my childhood. I really can't be objective about it. Remains near and dear to my heart, and I still pick up my worn copy of it (with the red and green ink) and page through it whenever I feel "the Nothing" creeping up on me.
2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Neverending Story.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Is this REALLY this good, or is it sort of a personal-experience childhood-love sort of thing?

message 2: by Mer (last edited Apr 19, 2007 03:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mer I can't be objective, honestly. I was 7 the first time I read it, and I've picked it up and re read it countless times since then. It still resonates.

I can tell you that it has informed my personal life philosophy a LOT. It's an existentialist fairy tale.... and I've been flat out described by one who knows me as a creature created by Froud who has read too much Kierkegaard. ;)

Folks who have only seen the film and never read the book tend to chuckle when I tell them it's an all time favorite. Then again, a lot of people who read it based on my recommendation seem to enjoy it very much, kids especially. I dunno.

message 3: by osama bon jovi (new)

osama bon jovi if you like this then you should read The DaVinci code by Dan Brown. it's profound