Thomas's Reviews > The Vast Fields of Ordinary

The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd

2018505
Jul 08, 09

bookshelves: five-stars, lgbtq, young-adult, romance, realistic-fiction
Read in July, 2009

"The Vast Fields of Ordinary" is about Dade Hamilton, a gay in the closet teenager who is living his senior summer in the worst way possible. He has a horrible job at a grocery store, a "boyfriend" who won't even acknowledge his presence in public, and his parents are at each other's necks in arguments and conflicts. Dade is barely getting by with alcohol and drugs, until he meets Alex, a dreamy and somewhat thrifty young man who might just change Dade's life forever.

I loved this book. Every word of it. I finished it in barely a day and a half. Wow... the only complaint I have is that the cover kind of made me not want to read the book, but the phrase "Don't judge a book by its cover" rings true for this delightful novel. Dade was such an awesome character. He was believeable in every action he took and emotion he spoke. He never came off as whiny or irritable or annoying, and his development throughout the novel was truly breathtaking. The other characters were also well drawn and likeable... I loved Lucy and Alex, I even liked Fessica. The plot line never got boring for me, even though the part with the missing girl was kinda creepy. However, this was a totally awesome book and I would recommend it to everyone I knew.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vast Fields of Ordinary.