El's Reviews > The City, Not Long After

The City, Not Long After by Pat Murphy

Jul 05, 09

bookshelves: 1001-books-list, 20th-centurylit-late, society-went-boom
Read in July, 2009

Following a plague brought on by a gesture of peace (aka monkeys), the survivors of San Francisco turn the city into an artists' colony of sorts. The fate of the city is put in the hands of a young woman, Jax, and other teenagers she meets along the course of her journey who work together to protect San Francisco from an army led by a power-hungry general.

This is a different sort of post-apocalyptic world. In other books falling in the same category there is often a lot of sparse descriptions of landscape or characters who have lost all hope for the future. This story is full of hope, full of color and magic. Certainly more fantasy than science fiction, Murphy envisions a San Francisco being rebuilt in an entirely new way by a group of visionaries who continue to believe that peace is still possible. Maybe Murphy was just a big hippie when she wrote this, but if so, she was definitely on the happy drugs. And I mean that in a good way.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City, Not Long After.

Elegant Elbow I read this book for the first time around 1988. It's one of my very favorite books.

Also -- "hi there!". I often go by "Ele". ;)