Chris Youngblood's Reviews > InterWorld

InterWorld by Neil Gaiman

Sep 18, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction, young-adult, gaiman, reviewed, kindling
Read in August, 2009

This book read as though Neil Gaiman had nothing to do with it whatsoever, which made me question what his name was doing on the cover. Then I was told that apparently Gaiman had given the idea to Michael Reaves - the actual author - who proceeded to write a story that did absolutely nothing to live up to Gaiman's original concept. Whether or not Mr. Reaves wrote the book on his own isn't something I know to any great length, but I couldn't really find any trace of Gaiman's style within the story - if Gaiman did write part of this book, he hid it very well. Which is no small feat, if you've got as distinctive a style as Gaiman's.

There was so much potential here, even if the ideas themselves were fairly commonplace: a hapless kid finds out he's got the power to jump between worlds, and is recruited in the ubiquitous war between two factions - one high-tech, the other magical in nature. These two factions use people like the protagonist, whose power is sucked away to fuel the opposing factions' devices and vehicles, and it is up to the protagonist to learn how to control his ability and fight the war that is brewing. It's pretty standard fare, but in the right hands, it could have been at the worst an entertaining read, and at the best a spectacular one.

To put it simply, these were not the right hands.

I haven't read anything else from Michael Reaves, so cannot say what the rest of his catalogue is like, but I'm not sure this one is a shining example of his skill or talent.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read InterWorld.