Rosana's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Sep 18, 09

bookshelves: book-club, 2009
Read in September, 2009

Holden Caulfield says: "What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it."

I say that I don’t know if Salinger and I would have much to talk about, however, I really wish I could sit down and have a conversation with Holden. I think it would go something like this:

“Hey Holden, I just wanted to say hi. Mind if I have a cigarette? You know, I haven’t smoked in 20 years, but your story really, really made me crave a cigarette. I don’t remember ever reading another story that made me feel like having a cigarette. But, your story, you know, it killed me.

But, I wanted to tell you that that stuff you said about Jesus, well, it killed me. Yeah, you are just so right about that.

Well, you don’t know me and all, but I also wanted to say to you, about that girl, Jane, well, I think you should phone her some time. Yeah, none of my business, I know, but think about it anyway.

I hope you will be well. I think you will. But take care, all right? I will be thinking of you. If you don’t mind, I may come around some other time just to say hi. Bye for now, then. And thanks for the cigarette, it saved my life.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.