Leila's Reviews > 84, Charing Cross Road

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

Jul 28, 09

bookshelves: classics, memoir-biography, non-fiction, read-in-2009, read-in-swedish, north-america, europe
Recommended to Leila by: Liz at TNBBC
Recommended for: booklovers
Read in July, 2009, read count: 1

The "letter exchange" form isn't really a style that I am fond of but this was an excellent read. You could tell that a lot of letters were missing but it still managed to convey the great story about the friendship that Helene Hanff developed with Frank Doel and the rest of the team at Marks & Co. I didn't recognize many of the works that they mentioned but it made me curious and I also loved how enthusiastic Hanff was about the books.

I'm unsure whether I should read the continuing sequel The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street which is the story of when Hanff finally goes to visit literature England. Skimming through it, I can see that there is a lot of descriptions about her travels and surroundings but at the same time, the format (mixture of diary/journal and novel) isn't very appealing so I still haven't decided.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 84, Charing Cross Road.

07/27/2009 page 16
16.49% "Interesting start." 4 comments
07/27/2009 page 40
41.24% "I never heard of a single book that they mention but it makes me so curious :)"
07/28/2009 page 97
100.0% "That was sweet and sad :)"