Justine's Reviews > Griffin and Sabine

Griffin and Sabine by Nick Bantock

Jul 04, 09

Read in June, 2009

What a lovely little book. This was a birthday present from a dear friend (Hullo Jacques!) which very appropriately arrived in the mail. I love mail. and books. so books in the mail is about as good as it gets for me. (Food in the mail is an easy close second).

Giffin and Sabine is a cross between a graphic and epistolary novel. We are taken through the extraordinary correspondence (via beautifully designed postcards) of two strangers, one (Sabine) who has been able to see the work of Griffin in his head since he began painting. She finally tracks him down, and in the first post card, introduces herself and the strange situation they find themselves in.

As the book progresses, we learn more of their oddball biographies and watch them fall in love across distance and rationality. In the end, Griffin attempts to abandon Sabine, and we the readers are left in a tiny bit of doubt as to what happens next. I (secretly an optimist) believes they end up happily ever after.

The book is a delight to read, reminiscent of the Happy Postman (probably one of my favorite children's books) that is written in the same way. I found myself lingering over their correspondence (a close third favorite) and opening little envelope flaps as I went along. I'm not the best at odd forms of books (I like books, like paintings, thick enough with weight and allegory to effortlessly stun a small child), but this is a good start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Griffin and Sabine.