Jelinas's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

Mar 18, 12

Read in March, 2012

The Sandman is an interesting premise, and the first volume of the graphic novel has a lot of promise. I hear it gets even better as the series deepens, so I'm looking forward to getting into Volume 2.

An occult group, in an attempt to capture Death, accidentally traps and imprisons Dream instead. He escapes after seventy years, and his kingdom has since fallen into disrepair. He has to regain his tools for rebuilding his kingdom: a pouch of sand, a helm, and a ruby.

That's such a gross oversimplification of the beauty of the first book that I'm rather disgusted with myself for not being able to describe the intricacies and nuances of it. But it's clear that Gaiman, while still finding his direction in these first few books, is taking his work seriously and really trying to weave a tale like none other ever seen in comics. It can be at times macabre, at other times humorous, and at still other times truly magical.

The first volume does a solid job of laying the groundwork for the rest of the series. It's really whet my appetite for more. While it didn't quite blow me away as a standalone volume, I appreciate that Gaiman is taking the time to lay the framework of the series, and taking his time introducing us to Dream so that we're encouraged to invest in the character, instead of getting cheap and immediate payoff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 1.