Joyzi's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Aug 16, 11

bookshelves: e-book, fiction, ya-books, 5-stars-or-more, reviewed, political-intrigue, favorites, historical-fiction, read-more-than-once, printz, author-aussie, thought-provoking
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
Recommended for: Every living person who can read
Read from January 25 to February 12, 2010, read count: 2

_you__ll_see__by_peibee_an_jay-d38g8ds
(courtesy of www.deviantart.com)

Certainly one of the best books that I have read so far. It's heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. It's beautifully written, the descriptions of the skies, people, places are just unique, the descriptions used are not the usual like the author used to say his hair is like lemons, or he has hair like feathers.

The friendship and love story of Liesel and Rudy keep me from reading. It's just so cute and I always smile whenever I have read Rudy saying, "How about a kiss?"

The thievery part is also very good, I feel very nostalgic because it reminds me of my childhood days when I used to like to watch "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," wherein they steal apples too.

I really like when he described Liesel as the book thief without words and I just felt really sympathetic to Liesel because I love reading too and it's just sad thinking that she's really trying hard to be literate at that time.

And Death, yes the one who narrates the Book Thief's Story, it felt for me that Death is like very cool here. He's not the one with the black cloak or he doesn't look like a skeleton with a scythe or something. It's really fun when he describes about how he hates his work and sometimes he loves to have a vacation.

It's a tragic story, but from the very start Death, the narrator will tell you something about the ending that they will all die, so he's a kind of a spoiler.

All in all it's very good, the message and the themes (Death, Friendship, Society, War, Family, Loyalty, Love) are very excellent and you will definitely learn many things from this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

Quotes Joyzi Liked

Markus Zusak
“The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.”

Markus Zusak
“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.”

Markus Zusak
“Like most misery, it started with apparent happiness.”

“A DEFINITION NOT FOUND
IN THE DICTIONARY
Not leaving: an act of trust and love,
often deciphered by children”

Markus Zusak
“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.”

Markus Zusak
“She leaned down and looked at his lifeless face and Leisel kissed her best friend, Rudy Steiner, soft and true on his lips. He tasted dusty and sweet. He tasted like regret in the shadows of trees and in the glow of the anarchist's suit collection. She kissed him long and soft, and when she pulled herself away, she touched his mouth with her fingers...She did not say goodbye. She was incapable, and after a few more minutes at his side, she was able to tear herself from the ground. It amazes me what humans can do, even when streams are flowing down their faces and they stagger on...”

Markus Zusak
“He was the crazy one who had painted himself black and defeated the world.

She was the book thief without the words.

Trust me, though, the words were on their way, and when they arrived, Liesel would hold them in her hands like the clouds, and she would wring them out like rain.”

Markus Zusak
“It’s a small story really, about, among other things:

* A girl
* Some words
* An accordionist
* Some fanatical Germans
* A Jewish fist fighter
* And quite a lot of thievery”

“A small fact:
You are going to die....does this worry you?”

Markus Zusak
“A book floated down the Amper River.
A boy jumped in, caught up to it, and held
it in his right hand. He grinned. He stood
waist-deep in the icy, Decemberish water.
“How about a kiss, Saumensch?” he said.”

Markus Zusak
“She was saying goodbye and she didn't even know it.”

Markus Zusak
“Of course, I'm being rude. I'm spoiling the ending, not only of the entire book, but of this particular piece of it. I have given you two events in advance, because I don't have much interest in building mystery. Mystery bores me. It chores me. I know what happens and so do you. It's the machinations that wheel us there that aggravate, perplex, interest, and astound me. There are many things to think of. There is much story.”

Markus Zusak
“On many counts, taking a boy like Rudy Steiner was robbery--so much life, so much to live for--yet somehow, I'm certain he would have loved to see the frightening rubble and the swelling of the sky on the night he passed away. He'd have cried and turned and smiled if only he could have seen the book thief on her hands and knees, next to his decimated body. He'd have been glad to witness her kissing his dusty, bomb-hit lips.
Yes, I know it.
In the darkness of my dark-beating heart, I know. He'd have loved it all right.
You see?
Even death has a heart.”

Markus Zusak
“The words. Why did they have to exist? Without them, there wouldn't be any of this.”

Markus Zusak
“What do you want to kiss me for? I'm filthy.'- Liesel
So am I.'- Rudy”
Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

message 1: by Rollie (new)

Rollie pretty convincing review. :)

Joyzi haha read it na kasi

Julie joyzi, si rudy steiner talaga ang pangalawang bida ng book XD lahat kayong friends ko na nagreview ng book eh imposibleng mawala ang name ni rudy! haha

Joyzi Oo nga e :) sayang nga lang nung nag-kiss sila patay na si Rudy, si Liesel kasi e pakipot sayang

Julie oo nga, sayang :'( nung una ang kulit ni rudy tas nung deds na sya huli na ang lahat. grabeng heartache talaga ang librong ito.

umabot ako ng ilang pahina bago ko umiyak tas nung naumpisahan ko nang umiyak di nako makatigil hahaha

hhaaayyy....Life-changing nga

Joyzi Ako din e di ko mapigilan nagpunta pa 'ko sa cr para lang umiyak, parang namatayan nga ko e

Julie hahaha, nabasa ko nga sa comment mo kay tintin kaya tawa ako ng tawa iba-iba talaga tayo ng experiences haha

sya naman nasa bus dyahe naman yun! ako naman dito sa baba ng apartment dali-daling nagpunas ng luha kapag may baba ng hagdan XD

lols, nag-cr pa talaga e

Joyzi Oo promise di ko na kasi napigilan, hagulgul nga ginawa ko hindi iyak e

Julie lol, recommendan mo pa ako ha :) basta may magustuhan kang book! hehe

Joyzi Lol kung gusto mo nandun sa profile ko nakadisplay yung top 11 ko, pag gusto mo ng drama try mo Jodi Picoult books, nabasa ko na din yung isa pang book ni Markus Zusak yung I am the Messenger ang ganda din nun

Julie T.T nasilip ko nga yung rebyu mo at napaka-ganda! yung ending ang nagustuhan ko yung may quote ka pa nga eh haha, babasahin ko ng buo after ko na mabasa ang book ;) baka magwala ako kapagka nakakita ng spoilers haha

bonggacious review na naman yun for sure! just you wait joyzi >:D bwahaha

Joyzi Haha sige basta basahin mo medyo feeling ko na-iinlove na nga ko ke Markus Zusak ano ba yan haha

Julie hahahahaha, nako sinu bang hindi. lols, gwapo eh nagulat ako batang-bata pa ang itsura hahahaha hala, commandment no. 9 "thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife/husband" o.0

Joyzi May asawa na ba yun? Grabe ako din e pagkatapos ko kasi magbasa ng The Book Thief nagsearch ako kung me author interview sa youtube, nagulat ako na bata pa nga yung author.

Julie Oo joyzi, nabasa ko dun sa last pages ng the book thief ang mini-biography nya may daughter at wife na daw T.T sayang haha POGI pa naman XD

ako din >.< nagulat ako bat ang bata, expected kasi pag maganda yung book may feeling na matanda na yung author kasi maraming nang experience sa pagsulat kaya maganda yung book tas bata palang pala hahaha

Joyzi Aaaaaay sayang me daughter na din siya? So tatay na pala siya ^^. Oo nga e sa book niya di mo maiisip na bata ang nagsaulat

Julie oo, sadly tatay na nga T.T huhu

Joyzi Oo nga huhuhu parang crush ko pa naman accent niya, grabe swerte naman ng asawa nun, gwapo na, matalino pa, mayaman pa, san ka pa?

Julie hahahaha, nako naman perpekto na si Markus! mukha pa ngang mabait eh haha

smiling face eh :D

Joyzi oo nga e, basta talaga naman yan ang perfect hubby, haha ano ba naman yang mga weird fantasies ko na naman, tsk tsk sayang talaga

Julie nakikisimpatya ako sayo Joyzi, sayang talaga, crush narin lalo na nung nakita ko yung pic e haha

Joyzi Oo grabe astig nga e siya palang ang Aussie author na nabasa ko na ang work, kaya nga next time i-try ko magbasa ng kay Melina Manchetta, sabi nila pag nagustuhan mo yung Graceling, magugustuhan mo din yung Finnikin of the Rock niya

Julie wow :) daming alam na books! sige mababasa ko na siguro yan sa 2012 :D yung Melina Manchetta na yan parang may book na sya na nakita ko. yung pic parang nasa field tas may inumin na tubig haha basta ganun

cge, makahanap nga sa 4shared ^^

Joyzi baka on the Jellico road yun?

Julie baka nga Joyzi ^^ talagang hinanap mo pa

Joyzi Lols di naman, alam ko yan ang pinaka-sikat na sinulat niya e, pero di ko yan makita-kita sa NBS at 4shared

Julie ah, marami-raming tao narin ang nagreview nyan. kaya feeling ko maganda nga.
yung hinahanap ko sa 4shared paper towns pero parang wala din akong makita.

Joyzi walang paper towns at abundance of katherines, pero available dun ang Will Grayson, Will Grayson at Looking for Alaska

Joyzi Thanks Jen ^^

Arwyn never read it... is it really that good?

Joyzi Yep it's so good you can re-read it

Arwyn Well it looks like im going to have to read it and see if its as good as everyone says

Joyzi It's about Holocaust btw so expect that the book is depressing, okay.

Arwyn otherwise, its cool right, i can deal with a little depression if its worth reading

Joyzi ^^ just prepare loads of Kleenex

Arwyn hahaha, that'll be fun

Vinathi Alaburger very fun thingy to read. You sure are artsy, btw :)

Joyzi Thanks Vinathi, I didn't draw that picture btw I just find that one when I'm searching on deviantart ^^

Arwyn Definitly cool picture!

Arwyn Is it worth the read?

Joyzi Yes its worth the read definitely

Arwyn i put it on hold at my library. on the 23rd of june. im supposed to get it in a week or so. i lot of people wanted to read it

Joyzi That's good to hear. I'll be waiting for your review.

Arwyn ahhh, thought it would come this weekend early, i still got a few days to wait though

Joyzi it's worth the wait, hope you enjoy that one too

Arwyn ughhh... i can barely keep waiting

Joyzi i know the feeling, don't worry you'll have a meaningful time reading that

Arwyn it just arrived, i just got to go get it

Joyzi Good ^^ I'm excited for you