William Thomas's Reviews > Where We Stand: Class Matters

Where We Stand by Bell Hooks

Jul 12, 09

Read in July, 2009

a book that pretends to be an academic account of class in the united states as well as a study of class within the american society. however the book is nothing more than conjecture and personal accounting more than it is research and study. there is more rhetoric in this book than in any cornell west book i have ever read, which i thought would be hard to surpass, and which further separates the author from any academic rating with ethereal and undefined terms such as "a just society" and "justice". the use of these terms with no clear consensus as to their meaning makes them mean whatever the reader feels they should mean and is most likely the point of their ambiguity- to endear the reader to these ideas instead of a solid thesis or outlined plan. the usage of the same style of rhetoric as the founding fathers is annoying, vague terms left up in the air. a constant complaint book from an author who could be a powerful writer but instead leaves us with a petty criticism rather than a penetrating look at issues of class within the society.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where We Stand.